Sunday, February 15, 2009

Something New...



So after 19 seasons The Simpsons have made a NEW intro to the show... I was really surprised and impressed. It's amazing really to see the advance they've made over 20 years in the animation industry. From hand painted cels to 3D rigs and seamless camera moves. They've even gone to a widescreen format. The old one is so iconic and to me really helped define the 90's in a big way. So to adapt it into the 21st century seems like they are planning to stick around for another long time. Maybe the adaptation is a way to breath some new life, or fans into the franchise.

Thoughts anyone?

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Just the other day did I notice how much actual animation was in the old intro. I can see they're still trying to get that arc-y and flow feel, but even when marge turns her head when maggie is placed in the cart, it's such a limited head turn, unlike the original when her whole hair makes some crazy flowy movement. Ah, whatever ;)

Nice pirate cats, too 8)

Andrew Murray said...

yeah youre right, I never thought about that. But she shows this sigh of relief in the old intro and now its a stiff turn of the neck. I guess the focus is on Maggie now and that one eye browed baby.

Mitch K said...

The new intro looks amateurish! The 3D camera moves are ugly, and from what I can see there's tweens being used in some of the animation. The Simpsons have a HUGE budget, so why computer tween things? I know the show isn't as fluid and cartoony as it once was, but the character animation in the intro now is STIFF and UGLY. Thumbs DOWN Simpsons.

Andrew Murray said...

yeah as i see it again and again, it makes me realize how stiff it can be. it was a nice change but to bad they didnt get some REALLY talented animators to do something amazing with the intro. Weren't intro's supposed to be done over the top to show off what the show could be like since the actual budgets and time were very low? Look at something like, oh I don't know, Real Ghostbuster. really really bad animation during it 22 minute episodes, but that 1 minute intro was pretty snazzy for its time.

- kosta said...

Yo I watched it last night and was Blown away Its halarious the couch died and they had to get a new one and the flat panel TV fell off the way Good work team I say........I will ALWAYS LOVE HE SIMPSONS NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!

-ko

Khoi Mai said...

cool stuff, i can't agree with people who say simpsons isn't a good show anymore, i still laugh